Friday, April 24, 2015

"The MULTIVERSE!!!"

Well, its me again.  If you recall a few posts ago, I waxed intellectual about the idea of DC Comics having two universe in live action media, that of the Movieverse and that of the TV Universe.  I offered up an idea that maybe the two would find a divergence point in the character The Flash.

Well, then I read this:

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/03/24/superman-flash-series/

Yeah the article is exactly a month old as of this writing, but here me out.  This could be the dawn of a very interesting day for DC's live action media.  This might be the start of something amazing, something that Marvel has tried to copy from DC's playbook but never really got right.

This could be the dawn of...THE MULTIVERSE!!!

Just imagine there was dramatic music when I said "THE MULTIVERSE!!!"

Yes, I know its a rumor and I should not, under any circumstances, get my hopes up...but a fan can dream a little.

Let me set the record straight, I love the Flash TV series.  I like iZombie, and I tolerate the Arrow, but I love the Flash. 

Smallville, I have a different relationship with.  I really wanted to love it, and I have some really fond memories of it, how it seemed to be a converging point between old and new Superman, how they brought in and fleshed out characters that had been ignored in live action media, but there was a pacing to the show that never set well with me.  I'd like to say there was a specific point where the show just went off the rails, where it jumped the proverbial shark, but there were so, so many.

I think it was a show that tried to balance sci-fi elements with teenage melodrama, and that can kind of work for say maybe four years, but then you have to let the characters grow.

Then it became a show that tried to fully embrace the comic book feel of it's source material, and I can't tell if it was desperate or lazy.  I will cite at least four instances where the show simply failed:

Proto-Justice League, Hawkman, Doomsday, and Darkseid.

If you have questions, look those up.  Sufficient to say, the show ended on a flat note for me.  I felt it had utterly failed.

But then, years later, what's this I hear?  The Flash might meet Superman...from the Smallville universe?  This could be it.  This could be the thing that makes up for 10 seasons of adequate to just plain lazy television.  The writers of the Flash clearly know how to write superheroes on a TV budget, and they know just how to embrace the comic book aspect.  So I'm down, I am with you.  If they want to do this, lets do this, but for the love of God, do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment